The 30th Indefatigable Old Boys Annual Reunion

I was invited down to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch last weekend to some filming at the 30th Indefatigable Old Boys Annual Reunion. The weather was amazing and it was really great to see how connected the Old Boys are by their experience at The Indefatigable. Here’s a link to a piece we did earlier with Bill Smith talking about his time at the school.

Some more background information:

In 1983, the Indefatigable Old Boys Association (IOBA) was created by the late Pat Purser 77/91 (Teacher) and an annual reunion is held at the school each year where the Ministry of Defence gives ex-students access to the old school.

In 1989 new classrooms and sports facilities were built and the age of entry was lowered to the age of 11. However, the numbers continued to fall to around 120 in 1994/5 with an estimated 100 for 1996. The school could not carry on with these numbers, and at the end of term in 1995 the school was closed.
The school was purchased by the Ministry of Defence in 1996 and renamed The Joint Service Mountain Training Centre (JSMTC) Indefatigable. A £4 million refurbishment began in July 1998 and the first students arrived in April 1999. The Nuffield Trust partly funded the cost of the refurbishment.

Our Constitution (broken down) is as follows: The main aims of the IOBA are to;
Publish details of the INDEFATIGABLE and her proud history, traditions and influence as a point of reference and research to anyone in the world with an interest in maritime history.
Assist those with relatives or friends who are or were to find out more about what shaped them.
Act as a focal point for THE INDE who want to communicate with others.
Provide information about the IOBA and encourage membership.
Promote links with similar organisations around the world.
www.indeoba.com

Categorized: Events , Memories , Videos
Tagged: , , , , , , ,

This Post Has 17 Comments

1. Blake says:

My Father was on a training ship called Indefatigible in 1936.He is nearly 93 years old.His memory of the time is as clear as a bell, ive heard some stories.Is this the same Boat or am i on the wrong site.Thanks

• CaptainsPledge says:

Hi – that sounds like the right ship. Would your father be interested in doing an interview so that his stories can be shared?
      Best

2. Username* says:

HI MY NAME IS DAVE I ONLY HAVE A CELL PHONE WHICH I WAS PLAYING AROUND WITH AND CAME ACROSS INDEFATIGABLE LLANFAIR P G I READ AS MANY STORIES FROM INDE WHICH BROUGHT BACK MANY LONG SINCE FORGOTTON MEMORIES MY TIME WAS 1949/50 PLUS A MONTH AT OBSS (outward bound sea shool) AT ABERDOVY? BEFOR LEAVING INDE MYSELF AND I THINK CLIVE REED WERE SENT TO LONDON ON A SHIP MOORED ON THE EMBANKMENT AND INSPECTED BY THE KING AND QUEEN STILL GOT PHOTO SOMEWHERE SPENT TEN YEARS AT SEA BECAME A RADIO OFFICER WITH MARCONI BEFORE COMMING SHORE SIDE TO GET MARRIED STUDIED A BIT BECAME ELECTRICAL ENGINEER BEFORE COMING TO SOUTH AFRICA IN 1973 DID A SHORT SPELL AT SEA AS ELECTRONICS ENGINEER FINALLY RETIRED IN 1998 AS INSTRUMENT ENGINEER NOW AT 81 IAM A PARA PEGIC LOST BOTH LEGS AKA AND CONFINED TO A WHEEL CHAIR SPEND MY TIME BUILDING AND FLYING RADIO CONTOLED MODEL AEROPLANES STILL BUILDING A RADIO CONTROLLED MODEL OF THE TITANIC AND ATABLE FULL OF N GAUGE RAILWAY DONT KNOW IF THIS WILL EVER GET TO YOU OR BE OF INTREST TO ANYONE FOR WHAT ITS WORTH MY CELL NUMBER IS 0780515278 AND SNAIL MAIL ADDRESS D J HOOKER 3 JACKSON ROAD PINETOWN 3610 KWAZULU NATAL SOUTHAFRICA READ SOMEONES FIRST SHIP WAS AFRICA PALM MINE WAS DAHOMEY PALM ALSO SAILED ON A SHIP CALLED FARNINGHAM BELIEVE IT OR NOT THIS AREA IS CALLED FARNINGHAM RIDGE BAST REGARDS DAVE EX BOY48 RALIEGH DIVISION (i think)

• Username* says:

WOW What a story! I was at the Inde 72-74 Rodney (96) I’ve been back to a couple of Reunions but never seemed to be any Lads from my years? Must say when I was there i hated the first 3 Months but now some 40 Years Later Miss every minute of it! We had such a Bond with each other and I still have Many Lads from my Years that I try to keep in Contact with. It’s a real Pleasure Talking with you and hope you can reply
      Regards
      Glyn

3. clive andrew mills 1965_1968 says:

I attended Inde in 1965-1968 unfortunately I was expelled for what I still cal being a micheiose child. As everyone who has passed through those gates it’s a time they will never forget I will take memories of those days to my grave I spent 20 years in the Royal Navy untill retiring in 1989 on health issues but I think of those great days alot and will till I die my house colour was red and my number was 22

4. Woppy49 says:

Hi Steve, I remember Mr Gauge, he was good Teacher and I think he taught Maths? I was there from 1972 to 1974
    I’m hoping he’s still with us! If so please give him my regards and thank him for the guidance and discipline given to help all of us through life.
    I do remember other Teachers?
    Mr Curtis
    Mr Burrell
    Mr Watkins

5. Lee Hughes says:

Hi does anyone remember the training ship model boat in the glass case,the reason why I am asking is because my father in law has got it,he bought it in Anglesey a few years ago,because it is just sitting ther doing nothing he is getting fed up with it.

• Name * says:

Hi Lee,

You don’t know me, I’m (Steve Humphries) the Secretary & Archives Secretary of the Training Ship Indefatigable Old Boys Association (IOBA).

Re. your above comment “Hi does anyone remember the training ship model boat in the glass case,the reason why I am asking is because my father in law has got it,he bought it in Anglesey a few years ago,because it is just sitting there doing nothing he is getting fed up with it.”

Our School ‘Training Ship Indefatigable’ came to an abrupt ended in 1995, where many item’s were sold off to cover long outstanding debts. Such items as you describe were also given to various organisations / museums for good keeping etc.

Although our old school is no longer a Sea Training School, the same site became a Military Training Base run for training the TRI Services (Army/Navy/Air Force) for global mountaineering training, this base is called ‘JSMTC Indefatigable’. We have full access to this base and even have our annual reunions there each year, this year being our 150th! We have our own small museum of artifacts from our proud history (Ships Bell / Silverware etc.etc.).

I’m wondering if your father in-law would consider adding his ‘model boat’ to our items for save keeping, to be on permanent display back at the ‘old school’ ?

May I have a digital picture of ‘the model boat’, so that I can identify it as one of the Indefatigable old model ships.

Kind regards,
      Steve Humphries 75/76.

Indefatigable Old Boys Association (IOBA): Secretary & Archives ©www.indeoba.com

6. Steve Waygood says:

Dear sir

I am trying to obtain information about my fatherinlaw, John Gauge, who was a teacher and Dep Head of the Indefatigasble TS in the 70s/80s, grateful for any help or details of colleagues I may contact.

Regards

Steve

• Name * says:

Hi Steve,
      I remember Mr Gauge, he taught navigation while I was at the Indefatigable from 1965 – 67. He lived in one of the school houses close by and we use to call him Gabby Gauge, he had that name before I arrived and I don’t know the history behind that. I remember him for being a very fair officer and he was pretty good at his job for I went on to become a navigating officer in the MN. I think that he had an RN background but I may be wrong in that. In the Prize Day booklet for ’66 and ’67 there is a J.A.Gauge listed as ‘Senior Teacher’ and his name is at the top of the list of staff no less. I wish you luck in your search for further news. He was a good guy as most of them were at a good school.
      Regards, Peter Buckland.